Welcome

This blog is intended as a resource for aged care students, aged care providers, aged care workers and older people themselves to gain understanding and experience different points of view on the topic of aged care. I hope to stimulate your thinking and have you questioning the way we deliver aged care services in Australia. Enjoy!

About Me

My photo
I have been working in the aged care industry for thirty years and have gathered a lot of information on the topic in that time. Some things I have learned through formal training by underatking accredited courses, some has been learned through experience and other things I have simply questioned whilst observing clients. Many questions remain unanswered. I have had the privledge of training others in aged care courses and have gathered immense knowledge from this process too. Over the years I have seen many changes in the aged care industry including care standards, government funding models and ultimately schools of thought on the right and wrong way to do things. I have been left with no choice but to grow and change with the industry.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Health Care Courses

Yesterda,y I had the pleasure of spending some time with students at ACE Tweed College. The students are undertaking a training course in Aged Care at the college. They are studying topics such as dementia care, personal care, cultural issues as well as assistance with medication. Two of the students I spoke with were very excited about being involved in work placement where they are completeing the voluntary experience hours required to complete their Certificate III Aged Care Qualification.
One student, Teena has in fact been offered and has commenced paid employment at a local aged care facility despite the fact that she still has some of her course left to complete. Teena was very  generous and passionate enough to allow me to record her enthusiasm on my phon,e so I took the opportunity to create an Aged Care Channel on youtube to upload her footage to. Teena is so excited not just to be working but also to be feeling like she is making a difference in the lives of others. She is getting positive feedback about her performance both from her supervisor and from her clients. She is on top of the world and I am sure it is helping her  to have a regular reliable income too. This is what an aged care job can offer. Teena says that participating in a Certificate III in Aged care has changed her life. You can see Teena on  video on the left of this blog in our Video Link.
Have you ever considered doing an aged care course?  If so, what would you like to get out of it? What area of Aged care would you like to work in?

No comments:

Post a Comment